Tuesday 7 February 2012

February 7, 2012

     I know it's not a great picture, but is he not the cutest little calf you've ever seen?  Last summer my mother and father-in-law bought a small herd of Dexter cattle.  Dexter cows are one of the smallest breeds of cow, averaging only about 700-800 lbs for cows as compared to around 1500 for the bigger breeds.  They are also known for their docility.   And after some of the wild cows they've had in the past, I think my mother-in-law will enjoy a calving season without fear of being run through by an overprotective momma.
     This little guy's momma is one of the older cows.  My mother-in-law has been feeding her some grain for extra nutrition, but she just doesn't have any milk for him.  So he gets to stay in the shop for a few days and will be a bottle baby.  He's tiny, even for a Dexter calf.  He's only a couple days old, but he follows her all around the yard.  I will take the kids over later this week.  I'm sure they will love giving him his bottle.  And I'm sure he will love some playmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment