Friday 2 March 2012

March 2, 2012

     The last couple weeks have been filled with a lot of little things.  Last Friday was Math Day at the school the two middle children attend.  Parents were invited to come have lunch with their kids, then while the kids had recess the parents listened to the teachers give a presentation on the new teaching methods for math.  After lunch recess there were some math related activities for kids and parents to participate in together.
      My husband and I both went to have lunch with the kids.  S and I had lunch with B, and E had lunch with his dad.  We didn't stay for the afternoon activities as hubby had to get back to work, but we stayed for the presentation.  Apparently, what I always thought of as "cheats", are now the new teaching methods.  The kids are no longer taught to add from right to left and carry the one.  They now work left to right, adding the tens and then the ones.  So, for example, 42+35 is broken down (decomposed is the terminology they learn) to 40+30, then 2+5.  That's how I've always done math in my head because it makes it simple and fast, and I've always taught the kids that way too, so it's good to see it officially endorsed now!  I really like the all the different methods they are using in the classroom now.  I think the kids are coming out of grades 1, 2 and 3 with a much bettter understanding of what numbers mean.  So that was fun.
     This week brought an opportunity to go shopping with a good friend (who is also a cousin) and a morning of visiting at a friend's home, with a group of moms.  S has been a little clingy lately, so she didn't go play with her friends.  She stayed fairly close to me, but she did play a lot with the dog, and I got to visit with some old friends and make some new ones.  It was good to get out of the house a couple times this week.
     With both the girls having a birthday in February, we've had a lot of birthday related activities this month.  A couple of weekends ago, the girls went for lunch and a movie matinee with their dad.  It was a 3D movie, so they loved that.  I guess S kept pulling her glasses down, then pushing them back up, amazed at the special effects.
     Last Tuesday was B's birthday.  When I was in growing up, one of our little family traditions was going out for lunch with dad on our birthday.  It's a tradition I loved, so I'm carrying it on with my kids.  Only  their dad has worked out of town during the week since the kids have been in school, so I get to take each of the kids out on their birthday.  It's usually been a fast food place, because the kids get to choose, and since school lunch time is so short, that works best anyhow.  This time B wanted a buffet, so we found a restaurant with a lunch buffet.  I really enjoy our birthday lunches.  We don't eat out often and I don't get much one-on-one time with each of my kids, so it really is a special time.
     Sunday was the birthday family dinner.  The grandparents, and the aunts and uncles came over for supper and birthday cake.  I think B's favourite part of the evening was her auntie's birthday gift for her - she pierced B's ears!  B's been asking to have her ears pierced for a long time now, so she was thrilled that auntie brought her ear piercing gun and studs with her birthstone.
     And the final birthday celebrations are taking place right now.  B is having a sleepover with 3 friends.  Well, two friends are sleeping over, one  went home to sleep but will rejoin the rest in the morning.  J is gone on another sleepover, so while B has her friends here, E and S get to have their own sleepover.  S is a little torn over having fun with her big brother, or trying to be in the middle of the big girls. It's tough to be a little sister!
     Well, I think I need to attempt to shush those girls again, and see if I can get some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment