Friday 6 April 2012

     Well, it has been awhile, hasn't it?  This was one of the reasons I hesitated beginning a blog in the first place.  I was afraid I would forget about it.
     So, what's happened in the last month?  Let's see, two more birthdays (mine and J's), spring came, winter came back, spring came again, winter came back.  Parent/teacher interviews, adventures in vehicle repair, new creatures.  It's been busy!
     Let's begin with J's birthday.  My firstborn turned 13 in March!  I can't believe how quickly 13 years have gone by.  I remember being around 5 or 6 and thinking about how I just couldn't wait to be 18.  Life was going to be perfect when I was 18.  And it took forever to get there.  Now?  Ten years go by so quickly.  Next year will be my 20th high school reunion.  It seems like it can't possibly have been more than 5 years ago that we had our 10th.  Ah well, it's been a good thirteen years of being a mama.  I'm proud of the young man J is turning into.  And it's been good to put those stronger muscles and longer arms to use, too.
     Now for weather.  We had such a mild winter this year.  Spring seemed to be getting an early start.  My birthday was March 11, and our church had a tobogganing party planned for that Sunday afternoon of a long weekend ( the kids had a 5 day weekend due to Teacher's convention).  But the whole week before had been 8-9 degrees above zero, so most of the snow had disappeared.  It was still a fun afternoon.  There was just enough snow to do a little bit a skidooing, the kids still managed a couple slides down the mostly grassy hill, and there was a gigantic slushy pond sized puddle to play in.  We built a fire and roasted hotdogs and had a good time visiting.
     It seemed winter might be over early, but on the second official day of spring we got our biggest snowfall of the year.  It lasted for a few days before it started to melt again.  Now there was enough snow to have water running everywhere.  There are a few spots that flood every spring, but there were a few spots flooding this year that haven't flooded for several years.  The kids were loving playing in the water flowing down our driveway.  We had several days of beautiful weather, the snow was really disappearing and the flooded areas were slowly drying up.  I was thinking it might be time to wash up the winter coats and winter boots to put away until next winter.  But guess what?  Yesterday brought a bunch more snow!  I thought about putting away the winter gear, but I've been an Alberta girl for far too long to actually think the winter could be over for good!
     On to vehicle repair fun.  So, driving on gravel roads is hard on minivan shocks.  Minivans seem to be made for suburban moms to drive kids to school and soccer on nicely paved roads.  I have four kids.  I need a minivan.  I do not live on nicely paved roads.  Hubby's changed the shocks on the van before; it's not a terribly difficult job, however this time the one back wheel was very difficult to get off and he thought he'd better take it in to get a service place to do it so he didn't strip the wheel studs.  Well, they took the entire day to decide they needed a welder to come help get the studs removed.  So, back in the next week.  Another entire day later, they were short two replacement studs.  So, back in a third time.  Now they had the studs, but would be unable to put them until the afternoon.  I was not happy.  And they knew I was not happy.  I'm even unhappier that  I can't refuse to take my vehicle back there.  Unfortunately, living in a small town, there are not many other options.  And they are also one of the few options for parts supplies.  I can however, refuse to be the one to take the van in next time.  I think hubby gets to deal with them next time.
     Now it is Easter Break.  The kids had today, and will have all of next week off school.  Easter dinner will be with the grandparents and other family, on Sunday afternoon.  Hopefully the snow will disappear again, and spring will be here for good!  And hopefully I"ll get better at this blogging business!

No comments:

Post a Comment